Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Little things that make a BIG difference

Over a year ago G and I decided that we needed to sponsor a child who lived in a poverty stricken area. He and I got online and looked up Compassion International. I asked G if it mattered to him what kind of child we sponsor, he immediately said, "A boy, who is like me." We began searching through photos and descriptions of children. I told G I thought we should look for a child from Haiti because the people there had recently experienced a natural disaster.
We came upon a little boy who is a month older than G, who's favorite color is blue, and who likes to play soccer. G thought that this was a great match to his description of being "like me." We choose Styve.

We write corespondances to Styve and receive letters in response from him. A few months after Christmas we received one of these letters. In it the translator (Styve's mother) told us how they used their Christmas gift from us to buy a goat. A goat!!! I got teary eyed reading this and explained to Gunner how money we won't ever miss has made a huge difference for a family in need. We talked about all the things a goat can do to help the family and how thankful we are to be a part of a ministry that is helping those who need it.
     
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
Matthew 19:21

I think about what a little of what I have has done and cannot imagine the outcome if I gave everything I could to those who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.